Llanganten (St Cannen's)
Llanganten before the path was laid
Llanganten church is dedicated to St. Cannen, who is said to be a grandson of the local ruler Brychan Brecheiniog. Theophilus Jones suggests in the "History of Brecknockshire" that a church has been sited here from the 6th century. The first formal incumbent was appointed in 1574 but a church was in existence in 1282 when the body of Prince Llewellyn, who was killed close by, was temporarily laid to rest in the churchyard. At present the history of the existing church building remains a mystery, but we do know that it was restored in 1880 and the church walls are believed to be 17th century or earlier. The stone font is thought to be 12th century.
Interior of St Cannen's, Llanganten
The churchyard also reveals more history - some of the tombstones date back to the early 1700s
and in the chancel of the church are two stone tablets, one commemorating Rees Price, who died in 1762, and the other, Postuma, wife to William Price (1772).
More information about Llanganten church can be found in a booklet, unsurprisingly called "Llanganten Church", by Norman Tomsen which is available at our churches.
St Cannen's is set a few yards from the River Chwefru close to the village of Cilmery which is located 2 miles to the west of Builth Wells on the A483. On reaching Cilmery, and before reaching the Prince
Llewellyn pub, you will need to take a right turn past the village hall and then go to the bottom of the hill. The church is then down the lane on the left hand side of the road.